Monday, September 7, 2009

Type I and Type II technology

When I read the article by Cleborne D. Maddux and D. LaMont Johnson, I decided that the difference between Type I and Type II technologies is the following: Type I technology is technology that does not involve a computer, but is some form of technology that makes teaching a little bit easier. However, Type II technology is when a computer is used to enhance the learning of an individual with the added bonus of being convenient.

Type I examples
The first example I think of for Type I is calculators. People use them to do simple computations that can be done on paper or in one’s head. They do not further one’s learning, they just make it easier.
The second example is projectors. Teachers use these to convey the same information, but it is simpler to write normal on a screen and have it be big enough for everyone to read.
The last example I can think of is tape recorders. People use these to listen to a lesson once and then if they need to have something repeated they do not need to ask, they simply have to replay that particular section of the tape.

Type II examples
I think of a smart board as a Type II technology because, unlike a chalkboard, smart boards can connect to the Internet and be used interactively with the students. This enhances the learning of the students using it because they can touch the board and learn kinesthetically.
A graphing calculator I would also classify as a Type II technology. It instantly puts graphs on a screen as well as the data from the points on a graph. It can also compute an equation quickly.
The last example I think is a Type II technology is a computer that has the Internet. The Internet is always available to answer a question and students can research with the convenience of staying home instead of going to the library.

source:
Type II Applications of Technology in Education: New and Better Ways of Teaching and Learning by Cleborne D. Maddux and D. LaMont Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment